The very first of evolved technology that caught the world by storm is television. And, now that there are multiple channels to choose from and play station to connect to, youth and television are inseparable.
Here, we get you some facts, quotes and arguments that can help you in preparing for Group Discussion on Effects of Television on Youth
. We have also put together a list of possibly GD Topics related to Television that you can expect to see at a selection process.
Some facts about Television watching and Youth:
- Studies show that the average person watched around 3 hours to 4 hours of television everyday and this does not include Live TV recordings.
- Teenagers watch around 6 hours of television in a day.
- The highest television viewership is of youth between 16 years to 25 years of age.
- By the time a child turns 14, he has seen around 11,000 murders on television screens.
- 67% of the viewing is dedicated to commercials. Youth are more likely to buy stuff they have seen being advertised on TV.
- 66% teenagers in UK have a television set in their rooms. The number for India is 33%.
- Most teenagers are exposed to sensitive content without parental supervision.
- Youth have the most effect of television content on them than adults.
Possible Group discussion topics on Effects of Television on Youth:
1. Effects of television on youth - Positive or Negative?
2. Parents are responsible for the negative effect of television content on youth.
3. Rise in hours of television viewing amid teenagers is the result of negligence by parents.
4. Youth should not be watching television without parental supervision.
5. Children are not being taken care of as much as they should be.
6. Television makes youth materialistic.
7. Internet without supervision is more harmful to youth than television ever was.
8. Educational content on television is very useful for youth.
9. The rise in aggression and violence in children is owing to television.
10. There is a lot to learn from television for kids.
11. Watching television helps in fighting stress.
12. Which is the best series to introduce to a teenager - FRIENDS or How I Met Your Mother?
13. Youth should be restricted from watching television for more than 3 hours a day.
14. Watching news on television is far better for youth than on the internet.
15. Television is making youth lazy and unproductive.
Some quotes that can be used in Group Discussions on Effects of Television on Youth:"Trying to sell them all kinds of products, you'd kick him right out of the house, but here you are; you come in and the TV is on, and you don't think twice about it."
- Jerome Singer
"We cannot blame the schools alone for the dismal decline in SAT verbal scores. When our kids come home from school do they pick up a book or do they sit glued to the tube, watching music videos? Parents, don't make the mistake of thinking your kid only learns between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m."
- George Bush
Positive effects of Television on Youth:1. Informative:
Discovery channel, national geography, History TV, Animal Planet and a lot more. It is all about what you let your kids watch.
While violence on TV seems harmful, there are a couple of lessons to learn from them. Being careful on your own is something kids have to learn early.
3. Age appropriate content:
Animated movies, cartoons, and movies suitable for youth are plenty. It can help them fight boredom and get their healthy dose of entertainment every day.
That's how most of the world class athletes derived their interest from. Introducing kids to a daily time for watching sports will not just keep them entertained but also help in developing future interests for playing the game.
5. Dance and music:
It is good for youth in all sorts of ways. They can be inspired for learning dance and music as a hobby or make a career out of it. Same goes for acting.
6. Accept different cultures:
Television has to be applauded for making people appreciate and know about other cultures around the world.
Negative effects of Television on Youth:1. Couch potato:
Teenagers would rather stay glued to the TV than go out and indulge in physical sport or game. Say hello to obesity and diabetes as well since craving for junk food goes high.
Feeling of sadness because everything on screen is happy and free and you don't possess the latest phone and car being advertised continuously.
Expectations are raised, whether it is about possessing a lot of money or romance. Sadly, that doesn't happen in real life and hence dissatisfaction.
Studies show that the brain development of youth who watch too much television is rather slowed down and they showed less interest in socialising with people.
5. Harmful content:
Violent and disturbing content of murder, rape, drugs can have adverse effect on the minds of youth. Same for exposure to sexual content too early.
6. Distorted opinion forming:
For instant, showing cops in bad light more often can lead them to believe that cops cannot be trusted.
Television has both positive as well as negative effects on youth. Parental supervision is important in order to ensure that they are exposed only to the positive aspects and avoid the negatives as much as possible.
We hope that this GD guide on effects of television
helps you in dealing with this and other related topics.