Apache HTTP Server Tutorial
Apache HTTP server is a popular web server by Opensource community of Apache.
Apache HTTP Server TutorialLearn Apache HTTP Server with this interesting and complete Apache HTTP Server tutorial, in a very quick and easy way. Useful for beginners, this tutorial explains all the basic and advance concepts and features of Apache HTTP Server with examples.
Who is this Apache HTTP Server Tutorial designed for?This tutorial will be very useful for all beginners. This quick guide will help freshers, BE, BTech, MCA, college students develop notes, for exam preparation, lab exercises, assignments and viva questions.
What do I need to know to begin with?A basic knowledge of computers and servers wil help you get a good start with this tutorial.
Apache HTTP Server syllabus covered in this tutorialThis tutorial covers:
Apache Configuration Files, Add Sites, Secure Web Server, .htaccess File, .htpasswd File, SSL Certificate, Certificate Authority, Certificate Signing Request.
By the end of this tutorial, you will find yourself ready to work on Apache HTTP Server.
Apache HTTP Server
- Apache HTTP server is one of the most popular web servers.
- It was developed by the Apache Software Foundation open source community.
- Most of the web server machines run the Apache web server.
- The word 'Apache' was taken from the Native American Indian tribe of Apache, famous for its superior skills in warfare strategy and their inexhaustible endurance.
- A web server is a computer where content is stored on the server.
- Web server's basic job is to accept user requests and send responses to those requests.
- Every web server is always connected to the Internet.
- Web server has an unique IP address made up of a series of four numbers between 0 and 256 separated by periods.For example: 188.8.131.52 or 184.108.40.206.
Different types of web servers:
- Apache HTTP Server
- Internet Information Services (IIS)
- Sun Java System Web Server
- Jigsaw Server
- Apache Tomcat
- Abyss web server
- Apache Tomcat is an open source web server.
- It was developed by Apache Software Foundation. ASF executes Java servlets and JavaServer pages including JSP coding.
- Tomcat is developed and maintained by an open collaboration of developers.
- It is available in both binary and source versions from the Apache Web site.
- It requires a JRE (Java Runtime Enterprise) that conforms to JRE 1.1 or later.
- It can be used as its own internal web server or with other web servers like Apache, Netscape Enterprise Server, Microsoft Personal Web Server and Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS).
Features of Apache Server
- Apache server is a free and an open source web server.
- It can be installed on all operating systems like Linux, Windows, Unix, FreeBSD, Solaris, Mac OS X etc.
- It is a powerful, flexible, HTTP/1.1 compliant web server.
- This server is highly configurable and extensible with third party modules.
- It provides complete source code and comes with an unrestricted license.
- Apache supports some of the capabilities like CGI (Common Gateway Interface) and SSI (Server Side Includes), URL redirection, loading modules support, user authentication, proxy caching abilities etc.