Media is not just the medium through which people get worldwide awareness, the general knowledge of who's who, information of what's happening in and outside the nation, but also the medium responsible for shaping our views and opinions.
Here we get you some facts, quotes and viewpoints to help you with a Group discussion on Media. Also provided is a list of possible GD topics on Media
that you can expect to see.
Some facts about Media:
- It is argued that in the US media is dominated by five major companies - Time Warner, VIACOM, Vivendi Universal, Walt Disney and News Corp.
- Together they own 95% of all mass media including theme parks, movie studios, television and radio broadcast networks and programming, etc.
- The first Indian media were established in the late 18th century with the newspaper Hicky's Bengal Gazette, founded in 1780.
- In 2011-12, based on Press Freedom Index, India got ranked 131 out of 179 countries by The French NGO Reporters without Borders, which was worse than the previous year's ranking.
- Reporters Without Borders, a global advocacy group, called India "Asia's deadliest country for media personnel, ahead of both Pakistan and Afghanistan".
Group discussion topics on Media, you can expect to see:
1. Is mass media responsible for shaping an individual's perception?
2. The bane and boon of mass media.
3. Western media portrays India in bad lights.
4. Islamophobia is the brainchild of mass media.
5. Paid media and sold news is dangerous for a democratic nation.
6. Role of media in the fight for Kashmir between India and Pakistan.
7. Is media responsible for objectifying women?
8. Has media lost its freedom to power and politics?
9. The murder of Gauri Lankesh is the murder of press freedom.
10. Mass media should be used to fight extremism of all kinds, irrespective of religion or nationality.
11. Effects of irresponsible behaviour of press and media.
12. Media can defame an innocent person for life.
13. The role of media in healthcare and spreading awareness.
14. Media should stop portraying police in bad lights.
15. Can media turn an entire mob to justify a diabolical intention?
Some quotes that can be used in the Group Discussion on Media"People are sheep. TV is the shepherd."
- Jess C. Scott, Literary Heroin (Gluttony): A Twilight Parody
"It is advertising and the logic of consumerism that governs the depiction of reality in the mass media."
- Christopher Lasch
Pros of media:1. Awareness:
safe sex awareness, HIV awareness, breast cancer awareness, and the recently ongoing menstrual hygiene awareness have been the biggest pros of media.
News and important updates are made easier with media that brings us reports and statements from across the globe.
Call it consumerism but it is important for business growth and marketing and media is just the right medium for promotion.
4. Freedom of speech:
There are liberal media channels and press that promote free opinion on all matters irrespective of party and politics.
Cons of media:1. Manipulation:
Media can manipulate our opinion without us knowing that we are buying something we wouldn't otherwise believe.
This accusation is not completely baseless. There are instances that have proven this activity over and over again.
3. Sold out:
Cover up stories like protest over a movie doesn't happen at the exact time when an important judge handling a sensitive case is killed.
They can influence the people to believe that a particular community has forever been oppressed while the other has been a born oppressor.
It is important that we use our logic and reasoning before believing a media sensation. That being said, media should have complete freedom of expression and speech and any hindrance to it should be dealt with strictness.
We hope that you found this GD guide on Media
useful in your preparation.