Social media is the medium through which we communicate, make new friends, revive old friendships, share our opinions on everything under the sun, criticise each other, become keyboard warriors, learn to love ourselves with pictures filtered to hide flaws, and what not.
Group Discussion on Social Media
can be approached from various angles. In this GD guide we get you some facts, quotes and viewpoints to help you deal with GDs on Social Media and related topics. You'll also find a list of possible GD topics related to Social Media that you can expect to see at selection processes.
Some facts about Social Media:
- Currently there are 600 million Whatsapp users, 639 million Qzone users, 200 million Viber users and 500 million Facebook users.
- About 84% of teenagers in America are having Facebook Account.
- The closing valuation of Snapchat amounts to $20 billion.
- It has been observed from the research that every nine out of ten companies in United States are implementing marketing practices through social media. Professionals consider LinkedIn more important than any other social media network.
- It has been observed by the end of 2015 that Facebook conquered the users, but currently Instagram is considered more important than Facebook or Twitter amongst the youth.
- YouTube is highly preferred amongst the age group of 18-49 as compared to any cable network.
Group discussion topics on Social Media, you can expect to see:
1. Large number of people in friends' list, but none in person!
2. Social Media - Inspires or Threatens.
3. Would you post your personal things on Social Media?
4. Social media and No social life is the current trend.
5. Social media has helped many who were socially awkward.
6. Social media is leading to downfall of print media.
7. The battlefield that social media has become needs to be controlled.
8. Social Media is the new job platform.
9. Internet based advertisements are less reliable.
10. Chinese social media Giant values more than Facebook.
11. What salary would a social media influencer expect?
12. Are the Russian Information Operations disputed in the age of Social Media?
13. Is it worth considering Taliban's substantial social media activities?
14. Is Social Media a reliable platform?
Some quotes that can be used in the Group Discussions on Social Media:"Social Media puts the "public" into PR and the "market" into marketing."
- Chris Brogan, President of New Marketing Labs
"Social networks aren't about Web sites. They're about experiences."
- Mike DiLorenzo, NHL social media marketing director
Pros of Social Media:1. Sense of psychological satisfaction:
It is achieved when the information relating to any individual, establishments, or products are shared with others.
2. Effective communication:
Promotes interpersonal communication and group dynamics while eliminating the barriers to communication.
3. Facilitates business performance:
Bridges the gap between the management of corporates and stakeholders along with promoting e-commerce.
4. Online social networks development:
The user's profile gets connected with profile of other individual or groups.
Cons of Social Media:1. Security Issue:
Information shared over social media may be confidential. It could be misused if gone to the wrong hands. The security systems are inappropriate when it comes to teenagers.
2. Lacking personal touch:
Things are done over social media these days. It lacks personal touch due to which people rely less on activities done through social media.
3. Accidental posts:
If any post is made unintentionally or leaked in social media, such activity could probably cause unwanted threats, harassment, or trolling.
4. Tendency to endorse fake news:
Sometimes the information or news that is not real is promoted to great extent that people tend to rely on them.
Social media is the best platform where you can share reliable information with your friends and people at large. If used appropriately, it can help you in boosting your business and personal brand along with the relations with friends. However, we must know where to put the full stop.
We hope that this GD guide on Social Media
will help you in understanding the pros and cons of using social media and facing group discussions effectively.