How to get IEC for your Import-Export Business?
IEC is needed to start your Import Business. Let’s find out all the documents, eligibility, fees and process to get it online.
IEC (Import Export Code) is a key requirement to start your Import - Export Business.
Here’s the Step by Step Process that’ll help you get your IEC yourself, almost instantly.
IEC is provided to you online by the DGFT website i.e. the website of Directorate General
of Foreign Trade (https://www.dgft.gov.in)
Important: There’s no need to pay anything to any agent for this. You can do it on own.
Step 1: Go to https://www.dgft.gov.in
Step 2: Click on “Apply for IEC” & Register before filling up the application
You’ll be needed to provide a valid phone number and e-mail address. You’ll receive your OTP here.
Documents needed to get your IEC:
1. Address proof of the business entity (Sale Deed/ Rent Agreement/ Lease Deed/ Electricity Bill/ Landline Telephone Bill/ MoU/ Partnership Deed)
- NOC from the owner would be needed if the address is not in your name.
- In case of Proprietorship, Aadhaar Card, Passport, Voter Id can also be address proof
2. Cancelled Bank Cheque (With entity’s name printed on it. Else, get a certificate from the bank in this format: (https://content.dgft.gov.in/Website/ANF-2A_0.pdf (see page no. 8 of the pdf))
3. CIN No. not needed in case of proprietorship. It’ll be required, if your entity is a company.
4. Documents should be in PDF Format only. Max size: 5 MB
5. GST No. will also be needed
Bank Details Section - Things you’ll need to fill up
1. Account No.
2. Account Name
4. Bank Name
6. Cancelled cheque/ Bank Certificate
Firms eligible to apply for IEC:
- Proprietorship/ Partnership/ LLP/ Private company/ HUF/ OPC/ Trust/ Society
Signing the Application:
There are two ways to sign the application:
i.) Aadhaar based authentication
ii.) DSC Signature
Fees: Rs 500/- (paid online)
IEC gets generated instantly with submission of application.