Personal Fitness Trainer Interview Questions
Personal Fitness Trainer Interview Questions and AnswersThis section covers commonly asked and expert level Personal Fitness Trainer Interview questions and answers. The types of questions covered are general, conceptual, behavioral, situational and experience based. You can also find interesting examples and sample answers with each question.
Who are these Personal Fitness Interview Questions useful for?These interview questions will be very useful for all candidates appearing for the role of Fitness Trainer, Personal Trainer, Gym Trainer, Celebrity Trainer etc.
1. What is the role and responsibility of a personal trainer?The role of the personal trainer is to design safe and effective fitness programs for their clients. They need to assist people to achieve their personal health and fitness goals.
Here are a few things which the personal trainer has to take care of:
i.) Should have the working knowledge of human anatomy and should understand the concepts of functional exercise and basic nutrition.
ii.) Should possess an ability to design and execute fitness programs for individuals and group as per the needs of the clients and have attainable goals.
iii.) Conduct client screening and client assessment.
iv.) Help clients reach their health and fitness goals through appropriate exercises.
v.) Ability to motivate and encourage clients towards improving their overall fitness and health.
vi.) Maintain personal integrity, client confidentiality and professional standard.
vii.) Focus on self-development, self-improvement, continuous learning
viii.) Passion to work and create a healthy atmosphere.
2. What do you know about our gym?To answer this question you need to do some research before the interview. Check their website and their careers page. Read online reviews of the clients and employees testimonials. Check if they have any current promotions going on and their ongoing events. Try to know about their mission statement, their vision, and their core values.
To answer this question you can say something like: "ABC Gym provides a complete and all-inclusive approach for the well being of its members and follows globally proven fitness training module with state-of-art infrastructure. It caters to the needs of all the members’ whether they need to burn fat, build muscle strength, increase flexibility etc, it is the right place for all. Also, the employees get an opportunity to work in a fast-paced and challenging environment which is stimulating and also a fun place to be in."
3. How do you keep your fitness knowledge up to date?As a personal trainer, you must be up to date on your fitness knowledge. There is always something new coming up regarding health and wellness. With this question, the interviewer is trying to understand what you do to keep yourself updated.
To answer this question you can say something like: "I like to read a lot about the new trends on the internet. I also come to know about most of the trends through my colleagues. I talk and discuss with the other trainers about the different training techniques. I also research on fitness and try to enhance and improve my own fitness sessions to develop my ability as a fitness trainer."
4. What is BMR?BMR is the Basal Metabolic Rate. It is the rate which shows the minimum level of energy required to perform and sustain the important body functions such as breathing, digestion, and circulation.
5. What is Metabolism?All chemical reactions involved in maintaining the living state of the cells and an organism is known as Metabolism. It is divided into two categories:
i.) Catabolism - is the breakdown of molecules to gain and obtain energy.
ii.) Anabolism - the synthesis of all compounds required by the cells.
6. How many muscles are there in quadriceps?The interviewer would ask you this question to understand how well you understand the anatomy of the muscles in human body.
There are four distinct muscles that make up the quadriceps muscles.
These muscles are called:
i.) Vastus intermedius
ii.) Vastus medialis
iii.) Vastus lateralis
iv.) Rectus femoris.
7. What according to you is great customer service?With this question, the interviewer is trying to understand how you would define customer service.He/she would like to know if you could provide true service to the customer and what would you do to go beyond customer needs.
To answer this question you can say something like: "I always talk to my clients to know what they are exactly looking for. This helps me to understand their requirement and assist them better.
Once I had a client who was always facing trouble doing one particular exercise.I explained to him the right way of doing that exercise but he was not able to do it correctly. I spoke to him and came to know that many years before he had an injury which he had not told me about. I suggested him another exercise and also told him that it is always better to inform the trainer about any past injury to avoid any problem. The new exercise helped him a lot and he was very satisfied."
8. What exercise would you give a client on their first day?The interviewer would like to know your approach towards the new clients. They would like to know if you could make a positive impact on the clients and if your demeanor will attract and retain the clients they want.They would like to see if you perform client assessment and evaluation.
To answer this question you can say: "On the first day I would talk to the client and try to understand their fitness goal. I would try to understand their lifestyle and the diet they are following. I would do a proper health assessment. According to their fitness goal, I would prepare a customized plan for the client. I would give them a few stretching exercises and a few cardio exercises so that they become flexible."
9. What are the few things that a personal trainer should always keep in mind?There are a few things that a personal trainer should always keep in mind. They are:
i.) Never skip client’s health assessment: Always keep in mind, that even if your client is young it is important to conduct a proper health assessment. Keep a check if your clients can handle the given workout regime. Check if they have any hidden health issues. Always keep your clients health your priority.
ii.) Explain the importance of nutrition: The trainer needs to make the clients understand that they need to adapt to healthy eating habits as the hard work at gym would not give results if they do not eat healthy food.
iii.) Do not offer generalized solutions: You need to understand the client’s needs, their capabilities, their body type and level of ability. Keep in mind their specific needs like some might be training themselves for a marathon run, or for some particular sport. You need to look at their requirement and their capability and prepare a personalized routine accordingly.
iv.) Be client focused: As a personal trainer you will have to keep your focus on clients. See how your client's body responds to certain exercise. If a client is unhappy with a certain regime listen to the reasoning behind it. Consider their health, aims and personal requirements.