Learn and practice the chapter "Problems on Ages" with these solved Aptitude Questions and Answers. Each question in the topic is accompanied by a clear and easy explanation, diagrams, formulae, shortcuts and tricks that help in understanding the concept.
Use of Problems on Ages
The questions and examples given in this section will be useful to all the freshers, college students and engineering students preparing for placement tests or any competitive exam like MBA, CAT, MAT, SNAP, MHCET, XAT, NMAT, GATE, Bank exams - IBPS, SBI, RBI, RRB, SSB, SSC, UPSC etc.
Practice with this online test to crack your placements and entrance tests!
1. Raj's age is 4 times that of Dhiraj, his cousin. 3 years back, Raj was 5 times as old as Dhiraj. What is his present age?
a. 12 years
b. 16 years
c. 24 years
d. 48 years
Answer: d. 48 years
Let us consider Dhiraj's present age as K years
Raj's present age is 4 times Dhiraj's = 4K years
3 years ago,
Dhiraj's age = K-3 years
Raj's age = 4K-3 years.
That time, Raj's age = 5 times Dhiraj's age
∴ 4K-3 = 5(K-3)
4K-3 = 5K-15
∴ K = 12 years
Present age of Raj = 4K = 4 x 12 = 48 years.
Video : Problems on Ages in Hindi - Simple Aptitude tricks for freshers
2. Referring to his two sons Ram and Shyam, their father says - 12 years ago, Ram was 3 times as old as Shyam. 12 years later, ratio of ages of Shyam and Ram will be 2:3. What is the present age of Ram?
a. 24 years
b. 36 years
c. 54 years
d. 144 years
Answer: b. 36 years
Let us consider Shyam's present age as K years
12 years ago,
Shyam's age = K-12 years
So Ram's age is 3 times Shyam's = 3(K-12) = (3K-36) years → This age of Ram was 12 years ago
Hence, Ram's present age = (3K- 36) + 12 years = (3K-24) years
12 years later from present day,
Shyam's age = K+12 years
Ram's age = (3K-24) + 12 = (3K-12) years
∴ K = 20 years = Shyam's present age ∴ Ram's present age = 3K-24 = 3 x 20 - 24 = 36 years
3. A, B and C's age are such that A is youngest and C is eldest. Also the difference between A and B's age is same as the difference between B and C's age. The sum of A and C's age is 108. Find B's age.
a. 32 years
b. 36 years
c. 54 years
d. 64 years
Answer: c. 54 years
A's age < B's age < C's age
Difference in A's and B's age = Difference in B's and C's age
This means that B's age is at the middle of A's and C's ages.
In such case, Middle number
Sum of Extreme numbers
∴ B's Age
Sum of A's and C's ages
4. The average of Rajesh's and Brijesh's age is 65 years. The average of Rajesh, Brijesh and Chetesh's age is 53 years. Find Chetesh's age?
a. 29 years
b. 31 years
c. 45 years
d. 59 years
Answer: a. 29 years
Average of Rajesh's and Brijesh's age
Rajesh's age + Brijesh's age
∴ Rajesh's age + Brijesh's age = 130
Average age of Rajesh, Brijesh & Chetesh
Rajesh's age + Brijesh's age + Chetesh's age
130 + Chetesh's age
∴ Chetesh's age = 29 years
5. The ages of 10 students and their teacher are such that the average of first 7 student's age is 15 years; average of last three student's age is 11 years. The average age of all the students and their teacher together is 15 years. Find the age of the teacher.
a. 24 years
b. 27 years
c. 30 years
d. 33 years
Answer: b. 27 years
Total age of 10 students and their teacher = 11 x 15 = 165 years.
Total age of first 7 students = 7 x 15 = 105 years
Total age of 3 students = 3 x 11 = 33 years
∴ Total age of 10 students = 105 + 33 = 138 years