30 Selenium Interview Questions with Answers
Selenium interview questionsThese Selenium questions have been designed for various interviews, competitive exams and entrance tests. We have covered questions on both basic and advanced concepts which will help you improve your skills to face interview questions on Selenium.
Who are these Selenium interview questions designed for?All the Developers, Programmers, Software Engineers, Test Engineers, Test Leads, Test Managers, QA leads and QA Managers will find these questions extremely useful. All freshers, BCA, BE, BTech, MCA and college students wanting to make a career in Software Testing will be highly benefited by these questions.
Selenium interview questions topicsThis section covers Selenium topics like - Automation Testing, advantages of Selenium, shortcomings of Selenium, Selenium Test Life Cycle, Selenium WebDriver, object repository, exceptions in Selenium, Page Object Model, Page Factory, types of frameworks in Selenium etc.
1. What is Selenium?Selenium is a free test automation framework to conduct software testing. It is mainly used to test web application. Selenium comes with easy navigation tools that can write test cases without the need for any script.
2. What are the advantages of Selenium?i. Selenium is an Open Source Software and it is free to use.
ii. Selenium offers a user-friendly interface that helps create and execute tests easily and effectively
iii. It offers multiple programming languages support, namely Java, C#, Perl, Python, Ruby and PHP
iv. Test cases of Selenium can be executed on various OS such as Windows, Mac OS, Linux etc.
v. Selenium supports various Browsers. It allows running the same set of tests on different browsers
vi. With Selenium, we can reduce the Test execution Time as it supports Parallel Test Execution
vii. Selenium requires less Hardware resources
viii. Selenium Test Automation can be implemented for Mobile web application automation on Android, IPhone, and Blackberry
ix. Selenium has a large user base and helping communities
3. What are the shortcomings of Selenium?i. Selenium can be used only to test web application.
ii. Selenium has limited support for image testing. For image based testing, we need to integrate Selenium with Sikuli.
iii. Selenium doesn't offer reliable technical support.
iv. Selenium WebDriver doesn’t have built in Result Report facility, we need to take help from either JUnit or TestNG Testing Framework to generate Test Reports
4. What is Selenium WebDriver? Is Selenium Web Driver Automation Tool?Selenium Web driver is a set of class which is used to automate a web application. It is not an Automation tool.
5. What kind of application is best suited for Selenium?Selenium is used to automate web based application. It supports multiple languages such as java, C# and Python and have browser and Platform compatibility.
6. What is Automation Testing?Automation Testing or Test Automation means using software tool to run repeatable tests against the application to be tested. It is a process of automating the manual process to test the application, thereby reducing human-generated errors.
7. What are the testing types that can be supported by Selenium?Selenium supports the following types of testing:
i. Functional Testing
ii. Regression Testing
8. Explain the Selenium Test Life Cycle.a. Test Plan
i. Acquire application environment details such as UI Design technology, database etc. from development team
ii. Analyze the Application Under Test in terms of Object Identification.
iii. Select Test Cases for automation
iv. Select and implementation of framework
b. Generate Test Cases
c. Run and Debug Test
Running or executing the tests is mandatory at this phase. No need for debugging if the test case does not show any errors and providing the right output.
d. Analyzing Test Results and Report Defects
Selenium provides only a summary of test results. It doesn’t provide detailed test reports, but using either JUnit or TestNG we can get detailed Test Reports.
9. How do you build object repository in your project?Object repository is a collection of objects. It allows a tester to store all objects in one or more centralized locations.
In selenium, we call objects as locators such as ID, Name, Class Name, Tag Name, Link Text, Partial Link Text, XPath and CSS.
And the best way to create Object Repository is to use Page Object Model
10. Explain the difference between Borland Silk and Selenium.Borland Silk test is used for client server applications whereas Selenium is used for only web application.
Silk test uses test scripting language whereas Selenium can use many languages like Java, Ruby,Perl and so on.
Borland Silk test is not a free testing tool whereas Selenium is completely free test automation tool